Just over a year ago I blogged about my love for the classic Christmas movie, It’s a Wonderful Life.
Since then I’ve heard too many people say they just flat out don’t like the movie. They say it is boring, or they can’t stand black and white, or any other excuse there is.
I just can’t take it. So I decided to bring back this post after watching the movie over the weekend. I’ve also included a few additions from the previous post.
- George Bailey is the story of every man (and woman). In the beginning of the movie his dad asks him to stick with the building and loan and he says no. He has big plans, like lassoing the moon. Of course, life gets in the way. His dad dies and he sticks with the building and loan, and then his brother gets married and has a good job offer. Just because he never travels the world doesn’t make his life less significant.
- I’ve always been like George. I’ve had these huge ambitions that I’m supposed to do things that get recognized as heroic. I don’t think it has panned out yet, and maybe it shouldn’t. The great thing is that George made an impact on so many without being “heroic”. That is my ultimate goal in life.
- Everyone has had life unravel just like George’s does when the money is lost in Potter’s newspaper.
- Good versus evil is a timeless story. Bailey versus Potter. Potter is out to make a buck and has bad public relations but George Bailey and his family are selfless and live a middle class life so that they can bless the lives of others.
- Everyone likes to think they are giving and selfless but few have done what George Bailey did on his wedding day.
- Everyone would love to see what kind of impact they have had in the world.
- Everyone loves to be appreciated for what they have done.
- Clarence Oddbody is cooler than any angel I could think up.
- The fact is, Clarence is odd. But isn’t it the truth that the strangest people are the ones who help us turn life around.
- The ending makes me tear up every time. Call me a woman or whatever, but the ending is perfect. I’m man enough to admit it. Without fail, it just happens. I can’t explain it, but it happens.
What is your favorite Christmas movie?