- Topical preaching:
- Looks at what the whole of the Bible has to say on a specific subject.
- Speaks directly to subjects relating to today’s world.
- Exegetical preaching:
- Looks at the Bible as it was written, piece by piece.
- Focuses on specific books of the Bible, with a few supporting verses from outside the main text.
- What does this specific text have to say about God and us?
(This isn’t meant to be an exhaustive description list of topical and exegetical preaching.)
- I tend to prefer exegetical preaching, though there are few things more inspiring than a great topical preacher.
- There are a lot of pastors who kind of mix topical and exegetical preaching I can’t name very many who are good at it.
- If you are looking for immense Biblical support for one or the other, be prepared to look for a while.