Yesterday I was in and out of watching The Nines, a church leadership conference that took place entirely on the web. From what I know of, I think it was the first of its kind and will likely be replicated more and more in the future.
In most cases I eat stuff like this up. The past 2 years of church ministry have really affirmed in me that I have a burden for providing Godly leadership for the local church. I’m always looking for chances to learn from men and women who are smarter and wiser than myself and The Nines was another opportunity to do so. Essentially it was a load of different recordings from various people for 9 minutes each all throughout the day.
Things that stood out to me:
- It was way, way, way too long. 11 hours. 3 or 4 would have been great.
- At the same time it was great to see leaders who aren’t given a national spotlight ever, a chance to have it.
- I think web conferences work. I was able to go in and out throughout the day and I was able to dialogue with others about the speakers while they were speaking.
- 9 minutes was too long for some, too short for others. The big name pastors are big names because they are much better communicators than most others. I don’t think that has to be a negative thing as some make it out to be. I’m not putting them on a pedestal, they are just easy to learn from.
Here are some of the highlights (bolded quotes were my favorites of the favorites):
- “Leadership is as easy as listening to God.” @perrynoble (This is something I disagree with. I think listening to God provides vision, leadership is bringing others into the vision.)
- “Church traditions should never get in the way of the mission or they are a sin.” @DanKimball (love this)
- “The Gospel is not an evacuation plan but a transformation plan.” Brian McLaren
- “Legitimacy does not come from tangible outcomes of ministry. We’ve confused large with legitimate.” Skye Jethani
- “Does working in this church interfere with your communion with Christ?” @flowerdust, Anne Jackson
- “The solution to a big head is a big heart (Psalm 51). Confidence and humility – humble confidence, confident humility.” –@lensweet
- “Disciples are hand crafted not mass produced.” John Ortberg
- “What we do here will live on in eternity.” @mafeinberg
- How do I dare take a paycheck from a church if I’m not willing to be uncomfortable for the sake of the mission? @john_bishop
- We take ‘good’ things, make them into ‘God’ things, and in so doing, make it a ‘bad’ thing. @pastormark
- “People are growing old in the church, but they are not growing up in the church” Rick Warren
- Create environments for people to belong before they believe. – @ericbryant
- Am I leading a rhythm of life in God that is restoring the life of God in me? -Nancy Ortberg