I ran across a post today by Prodigal Jon @Stuff Christians Like thanks to Joc. It was a post giving a guide to knowing how metrosexual your worship leader. I thought I’d take a look to see how I score on his ratings system of how metro sexual I am as a worship leader. I hope to get Jay to tackle this….because I’d love to see which one of us is worse (worse meaning more metro).
If you don’t know what metro means, Wikipedia defined it as this: straight men with a strong concern for their appearance, and a heightened aesthetic sense.
Well, here goes (I’ll only keep score for the ones that apply to me):
3. Has Rob Bell, black rimmed glasses = +1
I have brown rimmed glasses, and I’m no big Rob Bell fan, so this is only a half a point (.5)
7. Owns Puma, Vans or Diesel sneakers = +2 per each pair
Ouch…I own 2 pairs of Vans and 1 pair of Diesel’s (6 points)
8 and 9. Wears jeans on stage = +1/Wears designer jeans on stage = +2
Tag both of those on me (3 points)
12. Wears one of those Castro revolution looking hats = +2
I do own one, I wear it now and then, but never on stage (1 point instead of 2)
25. Uses the words, “postmodern, relevant” or “emergent” nonstop = +2
This one totally doesn’t apply to me……. 🙂 (2 points)
26. Cringes a little when people say the “H word.” (Hymnal) = +3
I actually voted for one in our 11am service, but I’m still not a big fan (2 points instead of 3)
27. Has ever said some form of the phrase, “That song is so 1990s” = +1
I think I said that twice today… (1 point)
34. Has a man bag or European Carry All = +2
Yeah but mine looks cool and I got it on sale (2 points)
55. Shops at Urban Outfitters = +2
If I could afford it I would shop there, but right now my shopping there consists of the clearance bin (2 points).
Final score: 19.5 points
If you read the whole list, there is a good chunk of them that don’t apply to me. So I’m going to make the verdict that I am less metro than many if not most worship leaders. Here are some of my personal favorites that DO NOT apply to me.
2. Has more product in his hair than your wife = +1
18. Has a haircut that covers one of his eyes while singing = +1
42. Your wife ever says, “he needs a barrette for his hair.” = +2
50. Twitters you from his iPhone = +2
Watercooler Wednesdays @ Ethos.