I have some news that I want to share with all of you.
About a month ago I applied for a part time position at my church for director of student worship. I interviewed for that position a few weeks ago and found out last weekend that I was chosen. My time at Sunset will now be split equally between student worship and weekend worship (my current position, students call weekend worship “big church,” ha), 20 hours to each position, starting December 10th.
I am very excited, and if I’m honest, also humbled and scared about this. I know and have played with many of the students in the past, but starting a new thing is always a bit intimidating.
Nick Lind has served faithfully in this student position as a volunteer for a year and a half and the transition will obviously take hard work. The past people in the position like this have created a strong ministry for students in music and worship. More than anything I hope to build on what the three of them have built in the past number of years.
Some exciting parts about this:
- Rose and I will have health insurance for the first time in close to 3 years. Both my parents and her parents are more excited about this than I am, but it is a great thing for sure.
- I’m hoping to bridge the gap between the student world and the adult world when it comes to music at Sunset. Having me in place in both areas should make that easier.
- 3 guys: Mike, Kurt, and Jay will now all be my bosses and they are 3 guys I also consider to be friends as well. That is rad.
- I’ll be scaling back the amount of classes I’m taking next semester while I get a feel for how much I can handle going into the future. I still value my education and the constant teaching I receive, but I value the journey of that more than simply finishing to get a degree.
- The small increase in money that I’ll receive because of this will allow Rose and I to save money for the first time in our marriage. We’ve been able to create an emergency fund of sorts over the past 3 years by being extremely frugal, but this should help us not feel up against it each month as previously.
- In many ways this is a continuation of what we both feel is God’s true blessing. A new house, a new job…we’re very humbled by what God is bringing our way.
I’d appreciate your prayers for the transition over the next month or so. I’m sure many of the students are upset that someone else is coming in to lead them. I don’t pretend to be the most talented musician, but I am honored to be chosen to lead students into worship.
Feel free to ask me any questions about this position.